A blood sugar "challenge" experiment

 Today I'm back in guinea pig mode.  Actually it was supposed to be yesterday but I ate a normalish breakfast before I noticed that I should have had a particular one, so I'm a day adrift.  No matter, I'm back on track now.

So for breakfast today I had one plain bagel and a glass of water.  I guess they might choose a bagel because its contents are pretty well known.  After three hours with nothing else to eat I then look at how my blood sugar responded.  Tomorrow I have three (measured) slices of cheddar cheese for breakfast.  The next day I have the cheese and the bagel, and the day after that some physical exercise after the bagel and cheese.  You can see it's all about learning what different foods, food combinations and exercise do to your blood sugar levels.

Ooh er! An hour and 45 minutes after eating just the bagel my blood sugar has shot up dramatically and is still rising.

I'll post another picture at the next reading.  

Later here it is.  A bit scary. That's what you call a spike.
I wonder what tomorrows will look like when I have cheese with the bagel.

If this all seems to be over focused on blood sugar, it's because I only get the blood sugar monitor for 14 days so I need to get the most out of it while I have it.  It's also something to be learning while I wait for the results of my blood fat and gut health (poo) test.  As to the blood sugar monitor itself, it seems to stay firmly in place on my arm and I don't really notice it.  I got an interesting double peak after dinner last night (pork sausages with spuds and veg) as you can see in the middle of the graph.  


I'm guessing here but maybe its because one ingredient gave up it's sugar before another, or maybe it's the cup of (unsweetened) coffee I had just after dinner.

Meanwhile I can pick and do more challenges, trying different food combinations, or even things like hot pasta versus reheated cold pasta. (I think the reheated is supposed to be better for you), or orange juice versus an orange, or a bread roll with and without olive oil and salad.

Friday night should be interesting.  We'll be up in Cambridge and our son Peter is treating us to a long promised "thank you for all the work we did when he moved house" meal at Brown's restaurant, where  for the first time in my life I shall eat lobster thermidor.  This is nothing to do with Zoe (although I shall measure the effect).  Lobster thermidor has been a long standing joke in the family ever since many years ago when I used to ask for it in the office canteen (which only did spam fritters and shepherds pie etc).   Elsie, the lady behind the counter used to stare at me and say "Pardon?" then I used to just say "I'll have the pie and chips then".  It always seemed to me the lobster thermidor was the height of culinary opulence.  So when Peter offered us a luxury treat that was a natural choice.  I hope I like it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How it's going

Glucose monitoring finished , now on to gut biome stuff.

Join me as I experiment on my self -with the guidance of the Zoe programme